HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Another year has come and gone. 2014 has had its ups and down.
One of the highlights is two more grandchildren were born about three weeks apart last spring. 🙂 Each of my three daughters has had a child now.
On a lower note, 2014 passed without a single blog entry. I’ve decided to change that by setting a goal of posting a minimum of one blog / month in 2015. We’ll see how that goes.
Speaking of setting goals, I accomplished a short-term goal I had set at the beginning of 2014: I was published in the RPG industry. TWICE!
The first was in mid-June and published by Moebius Adventures. It was my first paid freelance project: One Spot #3: Dolothar’s Shrine.
It can be found here:
Kenzer & Company released a HackMaster adventure I had submitted for a contest in 2013. It didn’t place in the contest, but they still felt is was good enough for publication. Legacy of the Elm King was released as a PDF at the beginning of GenCon. K&Co printed 15-20 copies to have on hand at their booth as well. I was happy to see it sell out there.
You can find it on pdf here:
I have two more products awaiting publication and a few in the beginning stages that I’ll be working on the next several months.
The process for the two already published items were completely different, so I’m going to use this first blog of 2015 to talk about those a bit.
Legacy of the Elm King was, as I said, a contest entry in 2013. There wasn’t much to that. I made this one to be a simple dungeon crawl for my regular HackMaster group. When the contest was announced, I scanned my maps and wrote the adventure based on the contest guidelines. I had to change the background a bit to fit those guidelines, but the meat of the product was as I ran it for my group.
I sent it in and eagerly awaited. The top two entries were to appear in Knights of the Dinner Table #199 & #200. Alas, it was not picked. I was a bit bummed, but it was the first time I’d ever actually written something for publication. I let it go and went on with my gaming life as usual.
At GaryCon in 2014, I was talking with one of the staff from K&Co. He told me the background was being reworked, and it would be released later in the year! W00T!
And I heard nothing more about it.
In June, I received an email with the subject line “SURPRISE” from him. He had attached the adventure ready for release but wanted me to proofread it and give feedback. SWEET! I scoured through it that night and sent my notes back the following morning.
And I heard nothing more about it.
Late July/early August, I sent him an email asking about it and was told it was debuting at GenCon. SWEET! My first adventure was to be a GenCon release! I was stoked. When GenCon arrived, I saw it sitting there in the rack at the K&Co booth.
So that product was a simple process of writing it and proofreading the modified product. There wasn’t any communication about making changes or adjusting this or that. Wrote it. Sent it. Proofread it. They released it.
One Spot #3: Dolothar’s Shrine was a different experience altogether.
I started talking with Brian Fitzpatrick (the man behind Moebius) 7 or 8 years ago. We talked several times about writing and such. Back around this time last year, we did a video chat do discuss my doing a freelance project for him. He left it pretty open as long as they fit within one of his current product lines and asked me to send him an idea when I got one.
Mid-February, I sent him the initial idea for ‘Geo’s Shrine for the Unwell’. As I didn’t have any ideas for a good name, yet, I gave it that as a placeholder. He liked it and set me loose.
The first draft , map included, was finished up and sent off in early March. He replied a few days later with several questions whose answers seemed obvious to me as I had written it. I’ll admit I was a bit irked at first; but as I read through it all again, it hit me that I was mentally filling in items. The critiques and questions were there to make me think more on it to make a better product. People that buy it won’t know the answers that I mentally fill in, so I set about adding more text and clarifying some things.
I worked on the revision and sent it off to him in early April. At this time, it had been renamed ‘Shrine of Dolothar’. Over the course of April, we made some tweaks to the text and map. About 20 or so emails were sent back in forth during this process. He kept asking for more details on the NPCs and added some text and tables of his own to it. By the end of the month, we had the writing and map parts ready to go. And I received payment. My first paid freelance job was finished on my end.
Early May saw the title changed to ‘One Spot #3: Dolothar’s Shrine’ which it would remain. Nothing else happened on my end during May as Brian awaited the artwork.
Finally, I got an email on Friday, June 13th (yes, Friday the 13th!) that is was complete and would go live on Tuesday, June 17th! Once Tuesday rolled around, I advertised its release all over Facebook. I’m not sure how much it helped, though. As of the end of 2014, Brian told me that 25 copies have been sold.
You can read a 4-star review of it on RPGNow here:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Kenzer & Company: http://www.kenzerco.com/
Moebius Adventures: http://blog2.moebiusadventures.com/